Skip to content

ThePawn02

Gaming and Streaming Content

  • eSports
  • Guides
  • Headlines
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Uncategorized
Primary Menu
  • Home
  • Watch Live
  • News
  • eSports
  • Blog
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Guild Login
    • Guild Mentality
    • The Zealots
    • Malign
  • Socials
    • Youtube Channel
    • Twitch Channel
    • Kick.com
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • Facebook
Subscribe
  • Home
  • 2026
  • March
  • ‘Things Are Looking Lukewarm Right Now’ — Marathon Has Reportedly Sold Just 1.2 Million So Far, With Steam Making Up 70% of the Player Base
  • Headlines

‘Things Are Looking Lukewarm Right Now’ — Marathon Has Reportedly Sold Just 1.2 Million So Far, With Steam Making Up 70% of the Player Base

'Things Are Looking Lukewarm Right Now' — Marathon Has Reportedly Sold Just 1.2 Million So Far, With Steam Making Up 70% of the Player Base
ThePawn.com March 25, 2026 5 minutes read
‘Things Are Looking Lukewarm Right Now’ — Marathon Has Reportedly Sold Just 1.2 Million So Far, With Steam Making Up 70% of the Player Base

Marathon has been out for a few weeks now, and we’ve yet to get an official sales figure. So, how’s it doing? According to one analyst: “Marathon hasn’t exactly made the splash Sony and Bungie wanted.”

Bungie’s ultra hardcore extraction shooter has sold around 1.2 million copies so far, according to a report by Alinea Analytics, generating gross revenues of around $55 million across PC via Steam, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and S.

While Marathon is a first-party Sony game in the sense that it’s developed by the Sony-owned Bungie, it feels very much like a Bungie published game. Indeed, Bungie — not Sony — is listed as the publisher not just on Steam, but on the PlayStation Store. Perhaps that’s why an estimated 70% of the sales were on PC, with just 19% on PS5 and 11% on Xbox.

A less than 20% share for PS5 is an interesting data point in the context of Sony’s reported decision to pull back from PC for its big single-player exclusives. Sony’s multiplayer games will reportedly remain multiplatform, launching day one across PC and consoles, and based on Marathon’s performance on Steam, you can see why.

The big question here is whether Marathon has not only done the business for Bungie, but for Sony. Bungie is under pressure to deliver for Sony after recent and very public financial failings. In November, Sony said Bungie had failed to meet its sales and user engagement expectations, recording a 31.5 billion yen (approx. $204.2 million) impairment charge as a result of Destiny 2’s underperformance. That was significant enough to drag down profits at Sony’s Game & Network Services Segment, which includes Sony Interactive Entertainment.

In August, Bungie CEO Pete Parsons left the company after 23 years and nearly 10 as CEO. He was succeeded by Justin Truman, previously chief development officer and fellow Bungie veteran. Parsons oversaw Bungie during many turbulent years, first taking over as CEO in 2016 from Harold Ryan and overseeing its break from Activision in 2019. He was at the helm throughout many of the events catalogued in our 2021 expose of Bungie’s internal work culture. Just months after our report, Bungie was acquired by Sony for $3.7 billion, ending the studio’s flirtation with independence.

“Marathon hasn’t exactly made the splash Sony and Bungie wanted, even if the game underneath the surface is a masterwork of design,” Rhys Elliott, Alinea Analytics’ Head of Market Analysis, said. “There’s a lot to love about Marathon — and the show ain’t over yet.”

Indeed, Marathon is proving to be sticky. According to Alinea Analytics, it’s holding steady with 345,000 daily active users (DAUs) and averaging 380,000 DAUs across the weekend. On Steam, Marathon’s average playtime has climbed to 27.8 hours, significantly outpacing the console averages on PS5 (16.5 hours) and Xbox (17.3 hours).

What does this all tell us? Well, we’ll probably have to wait for Sony’s next financial results to find out if it’s happy with Marathon’s commercial performance. As for Bungie itself, it may have made a game too hardcore to enjoy the kind of breakout sales that fellow extraction shooter Arc Raiders enjoyed last year. Marathon is a difficult game; if you die, you lose all your gear. And not just what you looted while out on the battlefield, but what you brought in. And given how easy it is to die in Marathon, it can feel like a brutally punishing video game. Are people bouncing off Marathon because of this? Were some put off by its steep learning curve?

Bungie has repeatedly said that while Marathon has a steep learning curve, over time, recovering from a bad loss gets easier. But then Marathon’s recently launched raid-like experience, Cryo Archive, doubled down on the ultra hardcore experience, with several requirements you need to meet in order to access it. Players need to be season level 25, have all factions unlocked (completing the initial liaison contracts), and queue in with a loadout value of $5k credits or higher. It launched only on weekends, too, although Bungie has since made changes to its schedule to make it more accessible.

Former professional Counter-Strike player, Shroud, said that while Cryo Archive offers an incredible experience, it’s too difficult for casual players. Speaking in a recent stream, the influential gamer said: “Cryo Archive is insane. It’s the most elaborate extraction shooter map I’ve ever seen in a game ever. The loop that they made is truly something special. The problem is, is it too elaborate? Is it too complex? Is it too much of a grind? Is your 9-5 grandma and grandpa going to be able to do it? I don’t know.”

Where does Bungie go from here? Marathon is far from a Concord-style live service disaster, but it’s clear Bungie needs to do something to increase those sales. Simply making Marathon easier may not be enough to do the trick, and would run the risk of alienating those who currently love it the way it is. Could a single-player or PvE campaign spark renewed interest? Could a traditional PvP mode help? Onboarding seems like something Bungie will have to look at, given how so many have struggled with Marathon’s initially bemusing systems.

Wesley is Director, News at IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at [email protected] or confidentially at [email protected].

feedzy_import_tag feedzy_import_tag

About the Author

ThePawn.com

Administrator

Visit Website View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: EverQuest Legends Boasts ‘All The Magic And Nostalgia of Classic EverQuest’ With a Modern Twist
Next: Super Mario Bros. Wonder – Nintendo Switch 2 Edition + Meetup in Bellabel Park Review

Related News

Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Headlines

Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video
  • Headlines

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option
  • Headlines

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0

Latest YouTube Video

Check out these awesome streamers

ThePawn02 on twitch

From Gamewatcher

  • Age of Wonders 4's Secrets of the Archmages DLC Releases This June With New Owlkin Form, Forbidden Magic Tomes, and More
  • Anno 117: Pax Romana Patch Notes (Latest) - Full Update History & Roadmap for 2026
  • World of Tanks: Heat Release Date Confirmed for Tactical Shooter Spin-Off
  • Subnautica 2 Patch Notes Hub and Roadmap of Updates for 2026
  • Directive 8020 Review

From IGN

  • Hasbro Cancels Dungeons & Dragons Game from Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Director
  • Assassin's Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option
  • Sea Scroll Card Game Review
  • Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video

From eSports Insider

  • As the esports industry crumbles, the FGC has become a refreshingly real escape to what esports used to be
  • T1 regains its form, G2 makes a statement, FlyQuest becomes LCS dark horse: The fight for MSI is closer than ever
  • Esports orgs need to take pros’ physical health more seriously as they continue to retire from wrist and hand injuries
  • Nephew qualifies for Street Fighter 6 Esports World Cup alongside Kobayan, while the twins fulfill their destiny in 2XKO: The week before Combo Breaker 2026
  • “Get a job already”: FGC begs Mew2King to get a job, but he isn’t the only esports pro suffering

.

You may have missed

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video
  • Headlines

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Headlines

Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Sea Scroll Card Game Review
  • Headlines

Sea Scroll Card Game Review

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option
  • Headlines

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Privacy Policy
  • Home
  • Watch Live
  • News
  • eSports
  • Blog
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Guild Login
  • Socials
  • Twitch
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Kick.com
Copyright © All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.