Skip to content

ThePawn02

Gaming and Streaming Content

  • eSports
  • Guides
  • Headlines
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Uncategorized
Primary Menu
  • Home
  • Watch Live
  • News
  • eSports
  • Blog
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Guild Login
    • Guild Mentality
    • The Zealots
    • Malign
  • Socials
    • Youtube Channel
    • Twitch Channel
    • Kick.com
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • Facebook
Subscribe
  • Home
  • 2026
  • March
  • ‘Let Them Cook’ — Astarion Actor Neil Newbon Hopes Baldur’s Gate 3 Fans Give HBO TV Show a Chance
  • Headlines

‘Let Them Cook’ — Astarion Actor Neil Newbon Hopes Baldur’s Gate 3 Fans Give HBO TV Show a Chance

'Let Them Cook' — Astarion Actor Neil Newbon Hopes Baldur's Gate 3 Fans Give HBO TV Show a Chance
ThePawn.com March 30, 2026 4 minutes read
‘Let Them Cook’ — Astarion Actor Neil Newbon Hopes Baldur’s Gate 3 Fans Give HBO TV Show a Chance

It’s fair to say that not all Baldur’s Gate 3 fans were thrilled by last month’s news that not only is a HBO Baldur’s Gate 3 show in the works, but that it will continue the story on from the video game itself.

The adaptation will reportedly take place after the events of Larian’s much-loved RPG and feature characters from the game. Craig Mazin, who created HBO shows Chernobyl and The Last of Us, is in place as showrunner, with Chris Perkins, the former longtime Head of Story at Hasbro subsidiary Wizards of the Coast, which owns the Dungeons & Dragons universe in which Baldur’s Gate 3 is set, serving as consultant.

Many fans still can’t fathom why anyone would want to continue on from the events of Baldur’s Gate 3, given its many different endings, variances in world state, and, most importantly, the vastly different outcomes for characters such as Astarion, Karlach, and Shadowheart.

There is also significant concern at the fact that Larian, the developer of Baldur’s Gate 3, is not consulting on the show. This was confirmed in a tweet from Larian boss Swen Vincke, who went on to say that Mazin had asked to visit the developer for a chat. “From the conversation we had, I think he truly is a big fan which gives me hope,” Vincke said at the time.

Now, Astarion actor Neil Newbon has said he hopes fans give HBO a chance, and avoid piling on the project before they’ve seen anything of it. Speaking to FRVR, Newbon said:

“I really hope people give them space to make the show that they want to make. It’s really important that artistic endeavours are left to cook. What they’ll do with it, who knows? But he’s [Mazin] an amazing writer. I think he’s a great showrunner as well. I think Chernobyl is a great example of how good his writing is, man. You have to see that this is the vision of people of the best story they can do with the material that they have.”

“Let them cook, man,” Newbon continued. “Let them do their thing and enjoy it. I think the worry about the internet at the moment, sometimes, is that people really pile on a lot, and they really get worried and upset. And I understand that comes from a place of love, often they’re very worried about things, but nothing’s happened yet, you know what I mean?”

Newbon went on to say “it’s healthier to watch the thing and then have a reaction to it,” and that “sometimes people get very affected by stuff they don’t know.”

HBO and Wizards of the Coast’s approach with Baldur’s Gate 3 is in stark contrast to that of Amazon and Bethesda’s for Fallout. With Todd Howard leading the charge, Bethesda is heavily involved in the creation of the smash hit Fallout TV series, which has been praised by fans for nailing the Fallout universe, tone, and aesthetic. The Fallout TV series also avoids the pitfalls of retelling the story of an existing game, nor does it feature main characters from any of the games. Instead, it’s set after the events of all the Fallout games, bringing in new characters and telling new stories, while returning to fan-favorite locations (New Vegas etc).

There will be intense scrutiny on the casting choices for Baldur’s Gate 3. The video game’s characters have become part of the culture, instantly recognizable online, and their actors as high-profile as those in the space get. The idea of an Astarion played by someone other than Neil Newbon, for example, seems almost ridiculous.

Indeed, Newbon told FRVR that he’d “love to keep playing [Astarion] if I could,” adding: “He’s not one of those characters that I’ve sort of [gone], ‘great, done my job, done.’ He is something that’s still very much exciting to me.”

Hasbro also plans for a video game follow-up to Baldur’s Gate 3, but whether that’s a Baldur’s Gate 4 that continues the story or something entirely different remains to be seen.

Photo by Daniel Boczarski/Getty Images.

Wesley is Director, News at IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at [email protected] or confidentially at [email protected].

feedzy_import_tag feedzy_import_tag

About the Author

ThePawn.com

Administrator

Visit Website View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: Xbox Games Showcase Announced for June, Gears of War: E-Day This Year’s Headline Title Getting Dedicated Direct
Next: Hunty Zombie Codes (March 2026)

Related News

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option
  • Headlines

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Sea Scroll Card Game Review
  • Headlines

Sea Scroll Card Game Review

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Headlines

Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0

Latest YouTube Video

Check out these awesome streamers

ThePawn02 on twitch

From Gamewatcher

  • Age of Wonders 4's Secrets of the Archmages DLC Releases This June With New Owlkin Form, Forbidden Magic Tomes, and More
  • Anno 117: Pax Romana Patch Notes (Latest) - Full Update History & Roadmap for 2026
  • World of Tanks: Heat Release Date Confirmed for Tactical Shooter Spin-Off
  • Subnautica 2 Patch Notes Hub and Roadmap of Updates for 2026
  • Directive 8020 Review

From IGN

  • Hasbro Cancels Dungeons & Dragons Game from Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Director
  • Assassin's Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option
  • Sea Scroll Card Game Review
  • Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video

From eSports Insider

  • As the esports industry crumbles, the FGC has become a refreshingly real escape to what esports used to be
  • T1 regains its form, G2 makes a statement, FlyQuest becomes LCS dark horse: The fight for MSI is closer than ever
  • Esports orgs need to take pros’ physical health more seriously as they continue to retire from wrist and hand injuries
  • Nephew qualifies for Street Fighter 6 Esports World Cup alongside Kobayan, while the twins fulfill their destiny in 2XKO: The week before Combo Breaker 2026
  • “Get a job already”: FGC begs Mew2King to get a job, but he isn’t the only esports pro suffering

.

You may have missed

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video
  • Headlines

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Headlines

Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Sea Scroll Card Game Review
  • Headlines

Sea Scroll Card Game Review

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option
  • Headlines

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Privacy Policy
  • Home
  • Watch Live
  • News
  • eSports
  • Blog
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Guild Login
  • Socials
  • Twitch
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Kick.com
Copyright © All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.