Skip to content

ThePawn02

Gaming and Streaming Content

  • eSports
  • Guides
  • Headlines
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Uncategorized
Primary Menu
  • Home
  • Watch Live
  • News
  • eSports
  • Blog
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Guild Login
    • Guild Mentality
    • The Zealots
    • Malign
  • Socials
    • Youtube Channel
    • Twitch Channel
    • Kick.com
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • Facebook
Subscribe
  • Home
  • 2026
  • February
  • ‘This marks a significant step towards addressing anticompetitive behaviors’: Following a complaint from Opera, antitrust regulator launches an investigation into Microsoft Edge
  • News

‘This marks a significant step towards addressing anticompetitive behaviors’: Following a complaint from Opera, antitrust regulator launches an investigation into Microsoft Edge

It's not over, it's just beginning.
ThePawn.com February 16, 2026 3 minutes read
‘This marks a significant step towards addressing anticompetitive behaviors’: Following a complaint from Opera, antitrust regulator launches an investigation into Microsoft Edge

Microsoft Edge: many a PC Gamer knows it as a stepping stone between them and their actual browser of choice—no matter how much the software pleads with you to reconsider. But rather than simply dismissing this as looking a bit desperate, the Browser Choice Alliance argues this is just one instance of ‘deceptive tactics‘ by Microsoft to discourage competition.

In fact, Opera, a member of the Browser Choice Alliance, has filed a complaint with Brazil’s antitrust regulator about Microsoft’s allegedly anticompetitive behaviour. The regulator, CADE, has since launched an investigation that is particularly interested in Microsoft’s ‘Jumpstart program,’ which allegedly pushes PC manufacturers towards including Edge as the default internet browser on their machines.

Therefore, CADE has sent regulatory letters to ten different companies—including but not limited to Asus, Acer, Dell, and HP—requesting information.

If the companies did participate in the ‘Jumpstart program,’ the letter requests information on what types of “third-party software—including, but not limited to, browsers” could or could not be preinstalled. It also inquires what conditions had to be met for preinstallation, and what regulations may have prohibited the preinstallation of third-party software. Lastly, the letter explicitly asks, “To the best of your company’s knowledge, what would be the expected financial and/or commercial impact in the event of withdrawal from/termination of the Jumpstart Program?”

Though these requests for information represent the investigation’s earliest phase, The Browser Choice Alliance said via email, “This marks a significant step towards addressing anti-competitive behaviors that restrict consumer choice and harm fair market competition.”

Edge browser gaming

(Image credit: Microsoft)

The BCA also say “to what extent these manufacturers initially configured their devices in Windows ‘S mode‘,” should also be scrutinised. They frame ‘S Mode’ as “a stripped-down version of its operating system that locked users into Microsoft Edge and blocked installation of any apps outside the Microsoft Store.” The Alliance also shared that “Microsoft quietly discontinued S mode last year according to a disclosure in October 2025.”

Microsoft is hardly the only massive corporation being accused of anticompetitive behaviour. Back in 2024, U.S. district judge Amit Mehta ruled that Google had violated antitrust laws when it used exclusivity agreements to maintain its monopoly over online search—a decision Google is now appealing, claiming that “People use Google because they want to, not because they’re forced to.“

Speaking of appeals, the FTC is also appealing an antitrust ruling of its own; A judge last year ruled in Meta’s favour, saying the company formally known as Facebook had not violated antitrust laws when it bought a number of its competitors, though the FTC have since said it “will continue fighting its historic case against Meta.” The FTC’s suit was originally filed all the way back in 2020—so with that in mind, it’s important to stress that CADE’s investigation into Microsoft is only just getting started.

feedzy_import_tag feedzy_import_tag

About the Author

ThePawn.com

Administrator

Visit Website View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: I applaud this gacha game for ditching anime characters for puppets, but it still can’t escape the pitfalls of a post-Genshin Impact world
Next: There’s a Whole Bunch of Disney Lorcana Cards on Sale at Amazon Today

Related News

Cairn revolutionizes bragging rights, lets you print a shirt showing your playthrough ascent from an in-game menu
  • News

Cairn revolutionizes bragging rights, lets you print a shirt showing your playthrough ascent from an in-game menu

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0
Loot is too good in co-op RPG Fellowship, so its devs are trying to convince players why making it worse is better
  • News

Loot is too good in co-op RPG Fellowship, so its devs are trying to convince players why making it worse is better

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0
Now that Subnautica 2 is out, the most wishlisted game on Steam is… a game that’s been out for almost 2 years?
  • News

Now that Subnautica 2 is out, the most wishlisted game on Steam is… a game that’s been out for almost 2 years?

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0

Latest YouTube Video

Check out these awesome streamers

ThePawn02 on twitch

From Gamewatcher

  • Age of Wonders 4's Secrets of the Archmages DLC Releases This June With New Owlkin Form, Forbidden Magic Tomes, and More
  • Anno 117: Pax Romana Patch Notes (Latest) - Full Update History & Roadmap for 2026
  • World of Tanks: Heat Release Date Confirmed for Tactical Shooter Spin-Off
  • Subnautica 2 Patch Notes Hub and Roadmap of Updates for 2026
  • Directive 8020 Review

From IGN

  • Hasbro Cancels Dungeons & Dragons Game from Star Wars Jedi: Survivor Director
  • Assassin's Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option
  • Sea Scroll Card Game Review
  • Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video

From eSports Insider

  • As the esports industry crumbles, the FGC has become a refreshingly real escape to what esports used to be
  • T1 regains its form, G2 makes a statement, FlyQuest becomes LCS dark horse: The fight for MSI is closer than ever
  • Esports orgs need to take pros’ physical health more seriously as they continue to retire from wrist and hand injuries
  • Nephew qualifies for Street Fighter 6 Esports World Cup alongside Kobayan, while the twins fulfill their destiny in 2XKO: The week before Combo Breaker 2026
  • “Get a job already”: FGC begs Mew2King to get a job, but he isn’t the only esports pro suffering

.

You may have missed

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video
  • Headlines

Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Headlines

Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Sea Scroll Card Game Review
  • Headlines

Sea Scroll Card Game Review

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option
  • Headlines

Assassin’s Creed Black Flag Resynced Shows Off No-HUD Option

ThePawn.com May 20, 2026 0
Privacy Policy
  • Home
  • Watch Live
  • News
  • eSports
  • Blog
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Guild Login
  • Socials
  • Twitch
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Kick.com
Copyright © All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.