Skip to content

ThePawn02

Gaming and Streaming Content

  • eSports
  • Guides
  • Headlines
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Uncategorized
Primary Menu
  • Home
  • Watch Live
  • News
  • eSports
  • Blog
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Guild Login
    • Guild Mentality
    • The Zealots
    • Malign
  • Socials
    • Youtube Channel
    • Twitch Channel
    • Kick.com
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • Facebook
Subscribe
  • Home
  • 2026
  • January
  • Ex-Assassin’s Creed Boss Suing Ubisoft for CAD $1.3 Million, Alleges His ‘Disguised Dismissal’ Was to Avoid Severance Pay
  • Headlines

Ex-Assassin’s Creed Boss Suing Ubisoft for CAD $1.3 Million, Alleges His ‘Disguised Dismissal’ Was to Avoid Severance Pay

Ex-Assassin's Creed Boss Suing Ubisoft for CAD $1.3 Million, Alleges His 'Disguised Dismissal' Was to Avoid Severance Pay
ThePawn.com January 19, 2026 4 minutes read
Ex-Assassin’s Creed Boss Suing Ubisoft for CAD $1.3 Million, Alleges His ‘Disguised Dismissal’ Was to Avoid Severance Pay

Ex-Assassin’s Creed boss Marc-Alexis Côté is suing Ubisoft for CAD $1.3 million ($937k) in lost severance pay and damages following his shock exit from the company last year.

Radio Canada broke word of the lawsuit, which Coté has filed against his former employer due to the manner in which he left the company — an “unacceptable demotion” that constituted a “disguised dismissal.”

Côté’s departure from Ubisoft last October came as a surprise to fans and the company’s thousands of Assassin’s Creed developers, just weeks after the brand became part of Ubisoft’s new Tencent-backed business entity Vantage Studios. Côté had served more than 20 years at Ubisoft and worked on a string of Assassin’s Creed hits, before his promotion to head up the flagship brand in 2022.

Ubisoft told staff of Côté’s departure via an internal email that discussed the need for Vantage Studios’ leadership team to be “aligned” with its core goals. At the time, IGN reported that Côté had been offered a role as part of Vantage Studios’ leadership, but declined.

Côté’s lawsuit claims that he was essentially replaced in his role early in 2025 by Vantage Studios’ newly-installed leadership, Christophe Derennes and Charlie Guillemot — the cousin and son of Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot. With this layer of management now above him, Côté claims he then learned over the summer of 2025 that Vantage was now seeking to hire a new Assassin’s Creed franchise boss, too.

Radio Canada’s report suggests that Côté enquired about the role but was told he was not suitable and would not be supported by Yves Guillemot, as the position was to be based in Ubisoft’s base in France, rather than in Canada, where Côté is based and every major Assassin’s Creed title has been led.

Côté’s lawsuit allegedly claims that he was offered a “Head of Production” role, reporting into the incoming new “Head of Franchise”, and then alternatively the chance to lead another business unit, working on second-tier Ubisoft franchises.

During a two-week period of reflection on what to do next, Côté told Ubisoft his exit from the company would require severance pay. It was at this point that Ubisoft allegedly told Côté not to show up for work as expected on October 13 and await a formal response. The following day, October 14, Ubisoft announced that Côté had departed.

In an internal note to Ubisoft staff obtained by IGN at the time, Derennes said he was “disappointed” by Côté’s decision, but that the former leader “had his own expectations and priorities related to Vantage Studios’ creation and future.”

“Following the organizational restructuring announced in March 2025, Marc-Alexis Côté has chosen to pursue a new path elsewhere outside of Ubisoft,” a Ubisoft spokesperson said in a comment to IGN at the time. “While we are saddened to see him go, we’re confident that our talented teams will carry forward the strong foundation he helped build.”

Now, Côté’s lawsuit alleges his exit from Ubisoft constituted an abuse of power and resulted in damage to his reputation. The amount he is seeking — CAD $1.3 million — is the sum of two years’ salary and a further CAD $75,000 in damages. Côté is also seeking for Ubisoft to lift his non-compete agreement, which currently limits his ability to work elsewhere.

Representatives for Côté have confirmed the lawsuit. A Ubisoft spokesperson told IGN: “We don’t comment on legal matters.”

Côté, known to colleagues by his initials as “Mac”, joined Ubisoft in 2005 as a software engineer, before working as a lead engine programmer on Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. From there, he joined the Assassin’s Creed series in time for Brotherhood, working as a lead level designer, before serving as a game director on Assassin’s Creed 3.

As creative director, Côté led development on a string of projects built at Ubisoft Quebec, the talented team which made Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag DLC Freedom Cry, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, and then Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, for which he served as senior producer.

In March 2022, as Quebec worked on Assassin’s Creed Shadows and Ubisoft sought to relaunch the series with a more consistent story focus via the Animus Hub (a project then envisioned under the title of Assassin’s Creed Infinity), it was Côté that took the reigns on the entire franchise, laying out a Marvel-style slate of upcoming projects that included the forthcoming Assassin’s Creed Hexe, which still lacks a release date. The next release in the franchise is widely-expected to be an Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag remaster, meanwhile.

Image credit: Andrej Ivanov/AFP via Getty Images.

Tom Phillips is IGN’s News Editor. You can reach Tom at [email protected] or find him on Bluesky @tomphillipseg.bsky.social

feedzy_import_tag feedzy_import_tag

About the Author

ThePawn.com

Administrator

Visit Website View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: Pokémon TCG: This Mega Charizard X Ultra-Premium Collection Just Scored a Major Price Drop at Amazon
Next: ‘Custodes Are Not Space Marines’ — Games Workshop Addresses ‘The Telemon in the Room’ and Explains Warhammer Lore Behind New Female Miniatures

Related News

How Batman Games Endured The Dark Knight’s Toughest Era
  • Headlines

How Batman Games Endured The Dark Knight’s Toughest Era

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0
Thick as Thieves Review
  • Headlines

Thick as Thieves Review

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0
Jurassic World Evolution 3 and The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition Headline Xbox Game Pass May 2026 Wave 2 Lineup
  • Headlines

Jurassic World Evolution 3 and The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition Headline Xbox Game Pass May 2026 Wave 2 Lineup

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0

Latest YouTube Video

Check out these awesome streamers

ThePawn02 on twitch

From Gamewatcher

  • Into the Unwell Release Date Delayed to 2027 as Development Plans Shift
  • World of Tanks: Heat Release Date Confirmed for Tactical Shooter Spin-Off
  • Directive 8020 Mods Hub: Best Mods, Tweaks & Weekly Updates
  • Directive 8020 Review
  • Bus Bound Review

From IGN

  • Sea Scroll Card Game Review
  • Broken Sword Movie in the Works, Creator Charles Cecil Will Produce
  • Final Fantasy Creator Hironobu Sakaguchi Addresses Backlash for Sharing AI Final Fantasy 6 Remake Video
  • How to Watch Warhammer Skulls 2026
  • Subnautica 2 Players Are Discovering Ways to Defend Themselves From Predatory Fish

From eSports Insider

  • Esports orgs need to take pros’ physical health more seriously as they continue to retire from wrist and hand injuries
  • Nephew qualifies for Street Fighter 6 Esports World Cup alongside Kobayan, while the twins fulfill their destiny in 2XKO: The week before Combo Breaker 2026
  • “Get a job already”: FGC begs Mew2King to get a job, but he isn’t the only esports pro suffering
  • Dota 2 pros salaries are too high and the scene is suffering for it
  • “Why am I not being hired?” Heccu’s story reminds us that esports doesn’t provide stable career paths

.

You may have missed

Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag star Matt Ryan says the term ‘voice actor’ is outdated: ‘You see the performances in the eyes, it blows me away’
  • News

Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag star Matt Ryan says the term ‘voice actor’ is outdated: ‘You see the performances in the eyes, it blows me away’

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0
After A Year Of Waiting, Pokémon Has Finally Released One Of Its Best Anime Episodes In English
  • News

After A Year Of Waiting, Pokémon Has Finally Released One Of Its Best Anime Episodes In English

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0
In Love And Deepspace, Intimacy Is The Ultimate Gooner Bait
  • News

In Love And Deepspace, Intimacy Is The Ultimate Gooner Bait

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0
Troy Baker and Austin Wintory talk becoming Indiana Jones and writing death metal polkas for Counter-Strike
  • News

Troy Baker and Austin Wintory talk becoming Indiana Jones and writing death metal polkas for Counter-Strike

ThePawn.com May 19, 2026 0
Privacy Policy
  • Home
  • Watch Live
  • News
  • eSports
  • Blog
  • Reviews
  • Guides
  • Guild Login
  • Socials
  • Twitch
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Kick.com
Copyright © All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.